QTP Interview Questions
Automated Testing Interview Questions - Mercury QuickTest Professional
General knowledge or software automation is your best guide when you answer
these QTP questions:
1. How to create basic scripts from a manual test case in QTP?
2. How to add verification steps to tests?
3. How to use custom checkpoints in QuickTest Professional?
4. How to use database checkpoints?
5. How to manage objects in the Object Repository in QuickTest Professional?
6. How to parameterize tests?
7. How to customize checkpoints with parameters?
8. How to run an integrated test scenario using Multiple Actions?
9. How to use the QTP Step Generator?
10. How to use debug tools?
11. How to create virtual objects?
12. What is the difference between QTP Analog and Low-Level recording
13. Please describe Object and Smart Identification?
14. What is the difference between Per-Action vs. Shared Object Repositories?
Ask yourself the following questions that covers the basics of the QTP functionality:
1. What are the main benefits of QuickTest Professional?
2. What is Add-In Manager in QTP?
3. What QTP Options do you know?
4. How to Identify Objects and their Properties?
5. What is the Object Repository?
6. How to Add Synchronization Steps?
7. How to Set the Global Sync Timeouts in QTP?
8. What is Regular Expressions and how to use them?
9. How to Create Data-Driven tests?
10. What are Checkpoints with Parameters?
11. What is the difference between Global and Local Data Sheets?
12. How to create Reusable and Multiple Actions?
13. Describe the benefits of the Step Generator.
14. What are the main options that are available in the Step Generator dialog
15. What is Exception Handling?
16. What is Recovery Scenario Wizard in QTP?
17. Describe the purpose of a Database Checkpoint
18. What is the difference between Analog Recording and Low-Level Recording
in automation tools?
19. Describe Per-Action vs. Shared Object Repositories
20. Describe how and when Smart Identification is used
Do you know the answer to the following more advance questions?
1. Please identify when the Expert View is useful.
2. How can we translate the steps between the Keyword and Expert Views?
3. How software automation specialist enter steps in the Expert View?
4. How can you retrieve an object's properties?
5. How software tester can use constants and variables in scripts?
6. How can you write the scripts that operate on different objects depending on
7. How QA specialist can identify when programmatic descriptions are useful?
8. What VBScript operators, functions, and statements do you use in QuickTest
9. How to retrieve data from application objects?
10. Please list some VBScript looping statements and explain when each is
11. How to use the DataTable object to store run-time data and drive actions?
12. How to build scripts that access data from external sources?
13. How can you create new subroutines and functions?
14. How we can build a new and associate library of functions?
15. Please identify when to handle run errors programmatically.
16. What are the main ways of managing QTP run errors?
17. Did you use abort loops, procedures, iterations, actions, and runs?
Detailed QTP questions with answers. Some of them were used for Mercury QTP
1. What is the purpose of loading an add-in?
answer: To enable QTP to recognize objects of your applications.
2. What does the Missing Resources pane show?
answer: Missing of any external function or repository
3. During designing a test, what do you need to take into account to ensure that
the test can be reiterated?
answer: Set initial and end conditions as part of the test,
4. How do you determine whether a test failed or passed?
answer: Go to the result screen and check
5. What does the export Test to Zip feature do?
6. What is the object class?
7. What is the step to change the logical name of the object recorded by QTP?
answer: Open the Object Repository.
8. What is Object Spy used for?
answer: View the runtime object methods and properties.
9. When QuickTest Pro enable you to specify a synchronization points?
answer: While recording a test and after recording a test
10. What is the function of a synchronization point?
answer: To provide more time for an object to process before moving to the
next step in a test.
11. What can you use a synchronization point for?
answer: To provide more time for an object to process in the real
12. When QTP enable you to specify a synchronization points?
answer: While recording and after recording a test
13. Why do you use regular expressions in your test?
answer: To define a checkpoint that can accept a range of values.
14. How do you determine if a checkpoint is use in a test?
answer: 1. A checkmark appears next to the step in the results. 2. The
OPERATION column of KEYWORD VIEW lists the operation as CHECK
3. A check mark appears at each level of the Test Summary tree.
15. What is standard checkpoint?
answer: A mechanism to check the property of an object.
16. How many ways we have to set checkpoints? 1. In the recording mode 2. In
the insert mode in keyword view screen (right mouse click) 3. In an active
17. What is the purpose of the input parameters?
answer: Drives a variety of data values through a test.
18. How can you make a checkpoint flexible?
answer: Create and insert a regular expression or input data to the parametr
using the design-time Data Table
19. Which action can you use only within the test which it was created?
answer: Regular action; Regular (non – reusable) action; External action.
20. Where do you set action iterations for the specified action?
answer: Action Call Properties
21. What is created by default with a new action?
answer: Local object repository, Local data sheet and Folder (tree structure)
22. What is Step generator used for?
answer: Function and object listing
23. Which field in the Step Generator dialog box is optional, depending on the
object and operation?
answer: Document step
24. How can you insert the ReportEvent feature?
answer: Using New step or Step generator.
25. In which dialog box do you check Web to load add-ins for a Web
answer: In Add-in manager.
26. Why do you create a text checkpoint on a Web application?
27. When do we use custom checkpoints?
answer: Standard checkpoints does not works
28. When do we use breakpoints?
answer: stop execution to verify values of variables.
29. Why do we require a database checkpoint in test?
answer: To test database as the backend
30. Which query tool is used to create a query in Database Query Wizard?
answer: MS query
31. What does the source property of a database test object specify?
answer: Connection string; username; password;
32. Name the object repository type in which QuickTest pro saves the
information about objects during a record session, by default?
answer: per action (local)
33. Where are shared objects stored in QuckTest Professional?
answer: in .TSR files
34. Which object repository type can you create using Object Repository
35. When do we use a low level recording to record a test?
answer: If QTP does not any objects at all
36. When do we use analog recording to record a test?
answer: To record mouse movement for example online signature.
37. How does a bitmap checkpoint work?
38. What is a virtual object?
answer: A generic object mapped to the standard object.
39. What are the components of a recovery scenario?
answer: Trigger, Recovery, Post-recovery
40. When do you select the Object State trigger event type?
answer: On the “Select Trigger Event” screen
41. Can you select multiple recovery operations for the trigger event?
42. When does an optional step execute in a test?
answer: When this object exists. ( this is build for negative testing)
Advance questions that can be used for Mercury QTP certification
For reference download free VBScript Tutorial and QTP code samples as
43. What are 3 categories of steps in Step Generator?
answer: Function; Test object; Utility object
44. What is the function of the auto expend VBScript syntax feature in Expert
answer: to help with programming
45. What is the function of the VBScript With statement?
answer: Edit -> advance -> Apply with
46. What is the function of breakpoints?
answer: Allows debug the code.
47. What are the advantages of retrieving the values of the properties of an
answer: Create checkpoints; create your own logic; populate a datasheet
48. Which command will you use in QuickTest Pro to retrieve the value of the
enabled property of a button in an application?
answer: RO property (runtime)
49. What is the difference between constants and variables?
answer: constant can’t be changed and variable can be changed.
50. What are dynamic objects?
answer: Dynamic objects are changed during time of test execution.
51. What is the function of a Description object?
answer: To hold a property value.
52. What are the steps involved in building a programmatic description of
answer: 1. Identify the object class. 2. Select object properties. 3. Create a
53. What are the additional uses of programmatic descriptions?
answer: bypass the object repository.
54. What is the function of the Is operator?
answer: Compare two objects.
55. What is the function of the Set operator?
answer: Set a variable to an object.
56. What does the split function do?
answer: Returns a zero-based, one-dimensional array containing a specified
number of substrings.
57. What are the VBScript functions that invoke dialog boxes to interact with
answer: 1 . InputBox function: Displays a prompt in a dialog box, waits for
the user to input text or click a button, and returns the contents of the text
box. 2. MsgBox Function: Displays a message in a dialog box, waits for the
user to click a button, and returns a value indicating which button the user
58. Which method do you use to retrieve data from the WebList object?
59. What is difference between the For..Next and While..Wend statements?
60. What is the function of GetSheet method in Data Table?
answer: Only sets focus on the current sheet.
61. Which property do you use to retrieve or assign data into a cell in a Data
62. Give a scenario in which you may require to access data from external
63. What are the methods used to import data from and export data into a MS
answer: import sheet and export sheet
64. What is the purpose of the Close method?
65. What are the methods of the TextStream object that are used for reading
from a text file?
66. What are the advantages of creating a procedure in a test?
answer: to increase usability
67. What is the difference between a subroutine and function procedure?
answer: Function is always return a value
68. What is the advantage of associating a procedure with a test object?
69. How do you create a library file?